The Church of St Gennys provides a clue to the treacherous nature of the water off the coast of the small coastal village of Crackington Haven. The graveyard includes memorials to seamen who have lost their lives over the years in a series of shipwrecks. One such was the Swedish brigantine William which lost 7 men in a storm in 1894. Just six years later a further 7 men were lost when the steamer City of Vienna and the barque Capricornia were lost to storms. The harbour here used to be used for importing coal and limestone from Wales, and for exporting the slate that was quarried here, but it has reverted to a sleepy cove with a pebble and sand beach, a pub and a bistro. Pencarrow Point towers over the beach at a height of over 400 feet, and there is spectacular coastal walking to be had over a stretch of coast towards Boscastle given to the National Trust in 1959 by Wing Commander A. G. Parnall to commemorate the airmen who died during the Battle of Britain, including his brother. Crackington Haven suffered extensive damage from flooding in the great flood of 2004, of which Boscastle was the more famous victim – more about this in the next post. The area around the village has been designated an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty as well as a Site of Special Scientific Interest. The latter is partly due to the geology, with the carvoniferous rocks giving rise to the name 'The Crackington Formation'.
Map of the area.
|Photo by Rob Wilcox, via Wikimedia Commons|