Monks from nearby Cartmel Priory used to store grain at the location now occupied by Grange-over-Sands, which is where the resort got its name - from 'graunge', a French word meaning granary. Once a quiet fishing village, the arrival of the railway brought with it an influx of wealthy folk from Yorkshire and Lancashire who turned the village into a smart Edwardian resort, building elegant hotels and houses. In 1932 a classic Art Deco style lido opened in the town. Sadly, the lido closed in 1993 and has since become derelict, but there are moves afoot to restore it. The lido is one of the last remaining Art Deco lidos in the north of England. Today the resort still retains attractions such as a traffic-free promenade, gardens and golf courses. There are also some good vantage points for watching the Morecambe Bay bird life, in particular Humphrey Head, a couple of miles south of the town, run by the Cumbria Wildlife Trust.
Map of the area.
|The Grand Hotel, Grange-Over-Sands. Photo by Mike and Kirsty Grundy, via Wikimedia Commons|