The Victorian town of Millom grew prosperous on the back of the discovery of the iron ore at Hodbarrow. The industry is commemorated by a statue of a miner, 'The Scutcher', in the town centre which was made from local iron ore dust and resin. The town's Holy Trinity Church dates from the late Norman age and was built from red sandstone. The church windows include one by William Wailes known as the 'fish window' due to its resemblance to a fish bladder, although its actual name is 'The Annunciation'. This, and a number of other interesting features, make the church well worth a visit. Next to the church is the ruined Millom Castle with a 4-storey pele tower. The castle was attacked during the Civil War, and was badly damaged by a cannon in 1648. The town has a folk museum called the Millom Discovery Centre which includes a reconstruction of a miner's cottage kitchen and a replica of part of the Hodbarrow mine. There is a website about the town with some interesting old photographs, as well as new ones.
Map of the area.
|Photo by Simon Pudsey, via Wikimedia Commons|