Blackpool Sands, a small but perfectly formed sandy beach, is the last beach before the mouth of the River Dart forms a natural break in this part of the South Devon coast. The beach enjoys a sheltered position surrounded by evergreens and pines. A bit further along a church tower is visible in a lofty position above the cliff top. This is the tower of St Peter’s Church, in the Parish of Stoke Fleming, a small village just outside Dartmouth. The church dates back to the 12th century, but was restored in the 19th century. The village also has a traditional pub, whose earliest known landlord was recorded in 1607; his occupation was referred to as “Licensed Tippler” – nice work if you can get it. There are a couple of caravan and camping sites on the outskirts of the village, which makes a good base for those wanting a bit of tranquillity but with easy access to the delights of Dartmouth.
Map of the area.
photo © 2008 stephen jones | more info (via: Wylio)