The 18th century Fort George got its name from King George II, whose army was garrisoned there following its construction after the Battle of Culloden. The disappointment felt by Boswell and Johnson towards Nairn (see previous post) quickly evaporated when they reached Fort George, where the fort's commander Sir Eyre Coote invited them to a dinner "of two complete courses, variety of wines, and the regimental band of music playing in the square". *
The Fort was never attacked, which has left it in excellent condition to this day, and it still serves as a military base. Although it is sited on a promontory sticking out into the Moray Firth, most of its defences were concentrated on the landward side, which was where any attack was expected to come from. The present-day fort includes the regimental museum of the Highlanders (Seaforths and Camerons). The fort is open to visitors year-round, and there is a cafe on site.
* From "The Journal of a Tour to the Hebrides with Samuel Johnson, LL.D." edited by Frank Morley,1930.
Map of the area.
© 2008 Otter, via Wikimedia Commons