Amroth's big sandy beach provides plenty of space for fun and games at low tide. The exceptionally low tides at this spot also reveal the stumps of trees from an ancient forest. There is a stream running down to the beach which marks the southern end of the Pembrokeshire Coast Path (the northern end being 180 miles away in Ceredigion). A short distance to the north of the village is the National Trust owned Colby Woodland Garden, which in spring fills up with daffodils, closely followed by bluebells.
Amroth Castle used to be a proper castle, formerly called Eareweare and probably dating from the 12th century. Howeer the present-day building is a country house built to look lilke a castle. In the mid-19th century it was used as a lunatic asylum, then it was taken over by a shipping magnate called Owen Colby Philipps, who onced owned the White Star Line of Titanic fame. Just to the north is St Elidyr's Church, which was granted to the Knights Hospitallers of Slebech by a charter in 1231.
Map of the area.
|The seafront at Amroth|