Mumbles is more or less a suburb of Swansea, but it has its own seafront, known as the 'Mumbles mile', with a variety of restaurants, pubs and other attractions, making it an ideal base for exploring the Gower Peninsula. The town's transformation into a resort came with the arrival of the Swansea and Mumbles Railway in 1804. All that is left of the railway now is the pier, along with its pavilions and a lifeboat station. The pier used to be visited by the White Funnel paddle steamer that brought daytrippers along the Bristol Channel. Adjoining the 'Mumbles mile' are quaint little streets with colourful cottages. On a hill above Mumbles lie the ruins of Oystermouth Castle, where graffiti dating from the 14th century can be seen along with the magnificent views over Swansea Bay. The lighthouse on Mumbles Head got off to a shaky start in 1792, with the collapse of the structure during the first year of building. However, it was completed in 1794 and has been guarding the entrance to Swansea Bay ever since. The present-day lighthouse is unmanned and solar powered.
Map of the area.
|The seafront. Photo by Trevor Rickard, via Wikimedia Commons|