Gruinard Bay is a north-facing bay with the small Gruinard Island in the middle. There are several beaches on the east side of the bay, at Mungasdale, at the mouth of the Gruinard River and at Little Gruinard. Along this stretch of the bay is Gruinard House, with a lovely garden which is occasionally open to the public on certain dates in aid of charity. Further round towards the west is the small settlement of Laide, notable for its ancient chapel and cemetery overlooking a small sandy beach. The chapel is believed to date originally from medieval times, with restoration work carried out in 1713. There may have been an even earlier place of worship on the site built by St Columba. Further round still is Mellon Udrigle, from where a path leads to the fabulous Camas a'Charaig beach, an expanse of white sand backed by dunes offering spectacular views of the mountains to the north, including the mighty Suilven near Lochinver.
Map of the area.
© 2002 Nigel Brown, via Wikimedia Commons