Glasson, also known as Glasson Dock, lies at the mouth of the River Lune. There has been a port here since the late 18th century when the dock was built as an alternative to the harder to reach docks in Lancaster. The port was linked to the main Lancaster Canal in 1826, and it handled raw materials for Lancaster's mills and slate which was imported and transported to Preston, while coal was exported to Ulverston, North Wales and Ireland. Due to the nature of the river at this point entry to the dock is tightly controlled and limited to short periods. Nowadays the working docks share the area with a yacht basin and the barge-lined canal. There is a six-mile walk from Glasson to Lancaster via the Lune estuary which is great for birdwatching. The village has a website with a history of the port and photographs.