This quiet outpost of Padstow is the former home of the Padstow lifeboat – and of actor Edward Woodward, who lived there in the latter part of his life. Situated on the west side of the Camel Estuary, it is a good place for observing leisure craft as they inch their way past the Doom Bar sandbank. Walkers heading out here along the South West Coastal Path pass Gun Point, where there was a gun emplacement during the Napoleonic War. Beyond Hawker’s Cove the path leads to Stepper Point, topped by a tower built as a landmark for sailors.
There are two beaches near the village of Trevone, one sandy, the other with rock pools and a natural swimming pool at low tide. Just as well, since the strong tides here make sea bathing risky. The cliffs above the beach feature a Blow Hole which attracts a lot of interest. St Saviour’s Church in the village is unusual in that it was built relatively recently, in 1959, as a replacement for an earlier wooden mission church. The roof is made of slate from Delabole and the walls of iron-rich local sandstone. As the stone is weathered the iron works its way outwards to give a hard casing.
Map of the area.
|Hawker's Cove. Photo by Chris J. Dixon, via Wikimedia Commons|