Portchester is best known for Portchester Castle, formerly Portus Adurni, considered the finest example of a Roman fort in Western Europe, although it was also used by Britons, Saxons and Normans over the years. The walls of the original Roman fort, six feet thick, surround the remains of a Norman castle built by Henry II. It was here that Henry V marshalled his forces for the 1415 expedition to Agincourt. As well as a fortification, the castle has been used as a royal residence and as a prison.
Map of the area.
|Portchester Castle. Photo by Johan Bakker, via Wikimedia Commons|