Pagham Harbour is almost 150 acres in size and is home to plant and animal habitats of global rarity, for example its flora include Yellow Horned Poppy and Vipers Bugloss which form a backdrop to the seafront. In 1863 the harbour was described by “The Channel Pilot” as “so completely choked up by ever shifting banks that as a harbour it is utterly useless”. This rather dismissive description has been somewhat vindicated in more recent times by the fact that the Harbour now enjoys the status of a Site of Special Scientific Interest. Rare birds to be found here include the Little Tern, Ruff and Pintail.
There is a church beside Pagham Harbour called St Wilfrids which actually includes the chancel of the original Norman building, the remainder having been moved to Selsey. The font is Victorian, and thought to have come from the demolished church of St Martin in Chichester, while earthworks outside the church are all that remain of what is thought to have been an 11th century castle.
Map of the area.
photo © 2003 eutrophication&hypoxia | more info (via: Wylio)