Sunday, 12 May 2013

GOUROCK





Gourock is located around Kempock Point, although the outskirts of the town stretch along to Cloch Point, where the Firth of Clyde suddenly veers to the south.  It has a pleasant lawned esplanade and a ferry terminal offering services to Kilcreggan, Helensburgh and Dunoon, although recent reports suggest that the latter service has been causing a lot of trouble to the good folk of Dunoon due to its unreliability, and that it is the subject of a feasibility study. There is also a rail link to Glasgow, in fact the town owes its rise in popularity as a resort to the arrival of the railway.  Prior to this, it was mainly a fishing community. The town of Gourock is dominated by Tower Hill, named after the tower built there as a folly in 1847 by the local laird.  It is worth making the effort to climb up to the tower for the magnificent views of the Firth.  Meanwhile, golfers can also enjoy the views from the elevated position occupied by the Golf Club.  There is also a Yacht Club, which hosts races in the summer off West Bay.  Cloch Point is home to an attractive whitewash lighthouse, built by James Clarkson in 1797.

Map of the area. 



File:Gourock from west with ferry.JPG

©  2006 Greenockman, via Wikimedia Commons


No comments:

Post a Comment