Shiskine is also the name of a village along the String Road just inland from Blackwaterfoot, which those approaching Blackwaterfoot from this direction may want to take a look at. The village has an unusual church called St Molios, which is also known as the "Red Church" due to the striking red hue of the stone used in its construction. St Molio was an Irish monk who, in the 6th century, lived a hermit's life on Holy Island in Lamlash Bay on the east coast of Arran. The interior of the church is notable for the woodwork on its ceiling, pews and wall panels, while its windows are graced with Romanesque arches, and there is some lovely detailed stonework - quite an elaborate interior for a church which has only been in use since 1889.
Map of the area.
|Drumadoon Point. Photo by Anne Burgess, via Wikimedia Commons|